Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Independent Film Festival Boston

This week I am very much looking forward to stepping out for some light(er) entertainment at the Independent Film Festival Boston which starts tomorrow night with, The Spectacular Now, staring Miles Teller (Footlose) and Shailene Woodley (The Descendents and The Secret Life of the American Teenager).

The IFFB will be running from April 24th to the 30th showing a total of 99 films at the Somerville Theatre in Davis Square, the Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square, the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, and new venues UMass Boston and Theatre 1 in Boston. Special events also include Q&A sessions, panel discussions, visiting filmmakers and other parties. Added bonus, Casey Affleck (newly appointed Creative Advisor) will be in attendance at certain special events!

Though there are so many I want to see, here are my personal festival picks so far:

Starring: Steve Carrel, Liam James, Toni Collette, Nat Faxon


The Way, Way Back follows a 14 year old boy on a hellish turned uplifting and hilarious summer vacation with his mom and her new boyfriend. Within seconds the trailer had me laughing with its hilarious cast which, aside from Steve Carrel, includes: Nat Faxon, Liam James, Maya Rudolph, Allison Janney, Amanda Peet and Toni Collette. It premiers at the IFFB on Thursday at 7:45 at the Somerville Theater and I will surely be in attendance  (how could I have said no to two of my favorite Boston born comedians, Nat and Steve?)

The Elders


While independent film festivals offer a wide array of star studded low budget comedies and dramas, it is important to take advantage of the full selection of other films and documentaries that wouldn't otherwise be availble to you in a regular box office line up.

For my "I'm going to go see something I normally wouldn't," I chose The Elders, a feature-length documentary, that interviews four elders (a poet, a fiddle player, a marine, and a teacher) on their most important life lessons. I hope it will be appropriately enlightening, especially after last weeks world events.

For the full list of movies and reviews check out the IFFB Site here and their facebook page here.


No comments:

Post a Comment