Thursday, July 18, 2013
Discussion Questions for Kitchen House
JUGs book club just finished reading Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. I, for one, LOVED this book. It was a fast-paced page turner that was both heart-wrenching, and inspiring. Do you feel that way? Maybe not? Lets discuss:
1. Grade the book, A-F.
2. Who is most to blame for Marshall's heinous actions in the book. Should Marshall alone take responsibility? What roles did the tutor, Rankin, Miss Martha, and the Captain play?
3. As Lavinia grew up, did you find her a sympathetic character, or could she have done more to help herself and those around her?
4. Was the relationship between Ben, Belle, and Lucy sustainable? Realistic? How did they make it work?
5. Why did the author tell the story through two narrators? If you could pick a different character to narrate their story, who would it be?
6. How is Lavinia's life reflective of Miss Martha's? Belle's?
7. In what other ways did history repeat itself in the book?
8. Kitchen House is often compared to The Help even though it takes place about 160 years earlier. What are the similarities and differences between these two stories? What does this comparison say about social change in the U.S.?
9. Lets finish up with a fun one. This novel would make an awesome movie. What actors/actresses would you pick to play each role?