Over the past two months or so, "paint nights" have taken Boston by storm. Whether the popularity of these events can be attributed to Heather's painting party on The Real Housewives of Orange County, or our obsession with the ICA which was the first new art museum to open in Boston in over 100 years in 2006, or just another excuse to drink wine on a weekday - the result is the same - we LOVE paint nights! I recently bought a deal on LivingSocial for a night at Urban Art Bar in Andrew Square, and tried it out last week. The class was so fun! I would do another one in a heartbeat. The whole event was about 1.5/2 hours and was a step-by-step guide to painting a replica of the sample painting, but there was also plenty of room to add your own flare!
Quick Tips for Your First Paint Night
- Check for deals before you purchase a full price ticket. Paint nights have been all over Groupon, LivingSocial, Ruelala, etc.
- If you are taking the T to Urban Art Bar, make sure to travel with a friend because the walk from the T to the venue goes behind a warehouse and is kind of sketchy.
- Don't wear your fav clothes. The paint is acrylic which doesn't wash out very easily (although you do wear an apron while painting).
- Call ahead and ask if they will be serving beer & wine - not all venues have a license yet!
- Get creative. I worked so hard on the background of my painting that I was reluctant to paint much over it, which made my painting more boring than the others...so when in doubt, GO FOR IT!
- Have fun!